The temperatures in Florida are trending up, the dogwoods are preparing to bloom, and we’re getting ready for spring at Kong Management Group! Spring is our favorite season in the Sunshine State, with its warm days and lower-than-usual humidity. It’s definitely the best time of year to experience the outdoors. In fact, it’s the perfect time to head to the beach, making Florida a very popular destination for spring breakers!
Maybe less exciting (but no less important), spring is also the season for cleaning. We’ve recently completed annual property inspections of our vacation homes, making sure everything is in top condition for our guests. Year-round, the cleanliness and upkeep of our properties is our first priority, and we have some of our best tips to share with you:
- Change AC filters and clean out AC ducts: The easiest way to keep your AC system working in top condition is to keep it clean! Change your filters every three months and have your AC professional check the ducts at your regular maintenance appointments. The National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) recommends that you clean your ducts every three to five years.
- Replace smoke and carbon dioxide detector batteries: As a rule of thumb, change the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors in the spring and the fall at Daylight Savings Time!
- Clean the dryer vent: In addition to emptying the lint holder in the dryer every time it’s used, checking for back-up in the vent itself is very important. Lint buildup can cause house fires, and regular cleaning reduces this risk. You can clean the vent yourself with a brush kit and a vacuum, or you can contact a professional for help!
- Clean sinks: Clogged drains and pipes can be an issue, so regularly clean your sinks to avoid them! An easy and inexpensive way to clear a clog is to pour about a cup of baking soda directly into the drain and follow with an equal amount of white vinegar. When the fizzing stops, let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes and then run hot water to wash the clog away!
- Flush the water heater: It’s a good idea to flush your water heater every six months to remove any sediment, which will help it to run more efficiently. Call a plumber to drain your heater, and make sure they check the temperature and pressure valve, too!
- Clean out the refrigerator: In addition to cleaning out and wiping down the interior of your refrigerator, you should clean the refrigerator’s condenser coil to remove dust and lint. This will help your refrigerator cool more effectively and extend the life of the appliance.
- Dust the drapes: It’s time to open the windows to let some air in, and we don’t want dusty drapes to get in the way! To freshen your drapes, take them down, remove any hooks, and run them through the air-fluff cycle in your dryer with a wet towel for 15 minutes. Remove them from the dryer and hang immediately!
- Think green as you clean: You don’t need cleaners filled with chemicals or toxins to spring clean your home! A steam cleaner is a great green option and can be used to clean your microwave, tile, hard floors, kitchen appliances, bathrooms, and even outdoor area! Also, natural cleaners like white distilled vinegar, baking soda, lemon, and even salt will help your home sparkle!
- Donate what you can: Spring cleaning is a great opportunity to gather items around your home (in good condition) that you no longer need so you can donate them to a local charity. Helping others is an added bonus!
After all that hard work cleaning, you might need a spring break! If you head to Hallandale Beach or Tampa Bay, come stay with us at Kong Vacation Homes. Clean, safe, and secure, our homes are the perfect place to relax while you enjoy the local beaches and springtime attractions. Contact us at 866-499-9026 or check out our website for more information about how you can vacation to the fullest!